CANOPY RENTAL GENERAL INFORMATION
The Canopy at Brenton Skating Plaza is installed every May through mid-October. The Canopy is 160 feet tall and is available for outdoor event rental, including reunions, business events, concerts and weddings. The Canopy provides a beautiful view of Downtown Des Moines and protection from the weather.
- Location: 520 Robert D. Ray Drive in the heart of Downtown Des Moines along the Principal Riverwalk.
- Hours: 9 a.m. – 11 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, and 9 a.m. – Midnight Friday and Saturday (subject to weather and other scheduled events).
- Capacity: 1,880 people standing, up to 500 people seated.
- Handicap accessible.
- Fully-operational restrooms.
- Book your event today!
LOOKING FOR A UNIQUE VENUE TO HOST YOUR WEDDING?
The Canopy at Brenton Skating Plaza is the ideal location! The Canopy is located in the heart of Downtown Des Moines.
WHY HAVE YOUR WEDDING UNDER THE CANOPY?
- The outdoor venue provides a beautiful panoramic view of Downtown Des Moines.
- The Canopy will allow festivities to continue rain or shine, whether it be the rehearsal dinner, ceremony, reception or other celebration.
- It is ideal for music and dancing.
- Fully operational men and women’s restrooms.
- Free parking for guests on evenings and weekends.
- The 120×60 square-foot facility allows for seating for up to 500 guests.
- 520 Robert D. Ray Drive in Downtown Des Moines, Iowa.
- Conveniently located along The Principal Riverwalk.
CANOPY SEASON RENTAL FEES (MID-MAY TO MID-OCT.)
Our rates include tables and chairs for up to 250 guests.
|Rental Rates include tables and chairs up to 250 guests
|Monday – Thursday||$1,200|
|Friday and Sunday||$3,200|
Non- profit organizations receive 15% discount on rental fees – Must provide proof of 501(c)3 or 501(c)6.
REMINDER GRAND AVE BRIDGE IS CLOSED 2017
- Free street parking available on Robert D. Ray Drive and throughout the Historic East Village on Saturdays and Sundays and after 6 p.m. on weekdays. Look for parking in the lot behind the Argonne Armory Building north of Brenton Skating Plaza or in the Iowa Workforce Development parking lot northeast of Brenton Skating Plaza after 5 p.m. on weekdays.
- On weekdays before 6 p.m., metered street parking is available.
- Valet parking at Embassy Suites located at 101 E Locus St, 1 block south of rink. $8 for up to 4 hours and $15 thereafter.
*Parking will be limited by the construction of the Grand Avenue Bridge and the City Parking Lot. Download a parking map
ALCOHOL, CATERING AND VENDING FEES
- Catering three caterers to work with:
Christiani’s Catering & Events food, beverage, decor and rental items provider at The Canopy at Brenton Skating Plaza. Contact Peter Worsham at (515) 287-3169
with questions or visit ChristianisCatering.com
The Tangerine food company Contact Cherry at 515- 720-7510
East Euclid Hy-Vee Catering Contact Kelsey Carter at 515-262-0640
- Alcohol: Christiani’s Catering holds the exclusive liquor license at Brenton Plaza. Users must contact Peter at Christiani’s for their alcohol needs this includes for sale or at no cost to the guests. Absolutely no alcohol can be brought onsite except through Christiani’s. Additional fencing is required when alcohol is served and security. Christiani’s will provide you with the cost.
Any physical damage occurring during your rental period will be charged to you. A deposit may be required depending on the nature of the event.
The applicant is responsible for all clean-up of The Canopy at Brenton Skating Plaza and surrounding site. There will be additional costs if the site is not returned to “as found” condition. These costs will be charged on charge card on file. If Damage deposit was required, additional charges will apply in the event the deposit does not cover the cost to return Brenton to an “as found” condition. Trash must be removed from Brenton and taken to dumpster provided. This includes emptying the Brenton Skating Plaza receptacles. A dumpster may need to be rented from a waste removal company if multiple dates are booked or a large amount of trash is expected.
Outlets are available for normal use on the backside of the stage. These will provide enough power to handle a small public address system. However, it is the sole responsibility of the user to inform and communicate the electrical needs of the function to the Brenton Skating Plaza Manager at least two weeks prior to use. An enhanced electrical service can be provided to handle heavier electrical needs by supplementing the existing circuitry for a fee of $150.
Brenton is available for rent daily subject to weather and other scheduled events. Reservations for Brenton are on a first come, first served basis. Any group or organization that establishes an annual public activity on a specific day or date will have 14 days after the event to reserve the same day or date for the next year. After this deadline, the date will become open and available for reservation.
Refunds will not be made on any cancellation unless notice has been given to the Brenton Skating Plaza Manager at least 60 business days prior to the date of the reservation (minus a $50 administrative fee). Rentals can be rescheduled if done 60 business days or more in advance. No refunds are provided in the instance of inclement weather on the day of the rental.
To secure your date we must receive half the rental fee by check or cc via phone with completed application. Remainder must be paid in full 30 days prior to your reserved date.
Ready to book? Please contact Robbin at 515-286-4914 or email to email@example.com
Download the rental application.
Skating Season Rental Information (Nov. – Mar.)
Brenton Skating Plaza is always an affordable option for fun! Plan for your next outdoor excursion – check out our rates below:
Winter Event Prices
|Rink Rental (Wednesday Evenings, Weekdays (9AM to 5PM) or
After Hours) *Holidays and Holiday Break Excluded
|$250 / hr + $2.50 skate
rental per person
|(non profit rates available)||$200/hr + $1.00|
|Group rates also available during public sessions||call us today!|
Brenton Skating Plaza Fun Facts:
Brenton Skating Plaza is the first of its kind in the state of Iowa. With its unique, open-air atmosphere and stylish design, the Brenton is sure to become a destination for area families and fun-lovers. Here are some interesting facts about Brenton Skating Plaza and its facilities:
- A 120′ x 60′ ice sheet makes up the skating surface
- The rink holds up to 220 skaters
- It takes roughly 8,000 gallons of water to form the ice rink
- There are 3 miles of piping underneath the rink which refrigerate the ice surface
- The unique exterior building material gives off a blue glow at night
- Our full-loaded Zamboni weighs 4 tons
- We have 450 pairs of figure and hockey skates for rent
- The ice you skate on is 2″ thick